Tuesday, March 24, 2009

confessions of a merch girl: ah!! texas! part one.



we made it!!















texas smelled so good. we drove with the windows down and timmy played me some lyle lovett--my need for country music was scratching and clawing my insides like a rabid horny hampster--and yes, it's hard to believe timmy loves lyle lovett, but it's the gosh darn troof. first he played me this song swearing up and down that it would be my new theme song, my alma mater, my graceland. after listening to this, you'll understand why:



if i had a boat, i'd go out on the ocean.
and if i had a pony, i'd ride him on my boat.
and we could all together, go out on the ocean,
me upon my pony on my boat.


um, riding a pony on a boat? yeah. how could that song NOT be written for/about me? and is it just me or is lyle lovett mad sexy?

then this song came on as a nice little hug, saying "hey good old war! you're not from texas, but texas loves you anyway!!"



as soon as we crossed over everything changed. the air changed. we got real quiet. it might have been lyle lovett, it might have been the majestical sunset over the texas plains. it might have been my texas childhood flooding my brain with a thousand little memories. the scenery changed so fast from the green wet swamps of louisiana to just so much space. it's humbling and awe-inspiring coming from the crowded northeast to see all this land. this country is just so darn big!


how often at night where the heavens are bright
with the light of the glittering stars
have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed
if their glory exceeds that of ours

so we drove to a little hotel outside of austin so keith and dan could get some beauty rest. throughout the trip down a little sickness started to ravage their precious vocal chords so a good night's sleep was muy importante before what we knew stood in front of us: the funnest most exhausting weekend, ever. so we drank in the sleep knowing it would be the last of it for a while.

where the skies are not cloudy all day,
ali.

No comments: